What is bounce rate? Bounce rate is one of the commonly known website analytic terms. What is the meaning of bounce rate? Is it a crucial term to learn about? Before I highlight the ways to reduce bounce rate, first let us understand what bounce rate is.
What is bounce rate and how can you reduce bounce rate on your WordPress site?
If your site has a high bounce rate, it means your content is not addressing the visitors’ needs and wants. It is worth noting that bounce rate is a very influential factor when it comes to search engine ranking as it depicts your site’s quality to Google. Reduce bounce rate and Google will get a reason to rank your site better but if your site has a high bounce rate, your site will rank lower for SERPs.
Today, bounce rate is affecting many sites but there are strategies which can help to decrease it. In this post, I will show you how to reduce bounce rate with some effective methods that are proven.
Let’s dive in!
To reduce bounce rate, Traffic and content optimization is a must
Thinking of decreasing your website bounce rate? Optimize your traffic and content first. How do you achieve this? First, you must note that the visitors viewing your site must be interested in your content. If your post is about WordPress and the traffic that you are driving in your post is interested in something different, you are wasting your time, even if you use all of the following strategies, as your traffic could not get interested at all. Remember, you should always optimize your website/blog content having your audience’s interests in mind. In my case, my post title is pretty clear that whoever views this post will know that it is meant to educate them on how to reduce bounce rate on their WordPress site.
What you get by optimizing traffic and content first? The quality of your traffic increases that comes from SERPs, hence, decreasing bounce rate.
To reduce your bounce rate, Improve your site’s speed
How long does it take for your site to load? If it takes forever, you are in for a shock as there is no one who will sit there waiting for your site to load. Nowadays, users don’t tolerate slow loading sites. A user visiting your site expects it to load in 2 seconds or less failure to which they will navigate away. Read here to know how increasing your site speed can boost conversions.
How to increase site speed?
If you want to improve your page load times, you need to test your site loading time. For this matter, you may use tools like Pingdom or Google Speed Page for your testing. These tools will let you know your site speed and also provide you suggestions for boosting your site speed. Luckily you can also improve your page loading times by:
- Installing WordPress caching plugins like W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache. Note that these plugins not only help to increase your site speed but also enhance site’s user experience.
- Decrease image size by compressing them when uploading them. You can use Optimus to compress images before uploading.
- Use a CDN
- Switch to a faster hosting provider.
Create quality content that will be loved by your visitors.
Users coming to your site are no doubt searching for quality content so you must provide quality and helpful content. Give them what they want and they will come back once more. Quality content will not only help to reduce bounce rate but also boost your chances of ranking high on Google. Poor quality content will not only increase bounce rate but will also make your visitors lose confidence in your content.
How to create quality content?
To provide quality content to your visitors, you need to check the search phrases that organic search visitors are using and make use of them effectively.
- Employ the right keywords: Use the right keywords in your post titles, headers, paragraphs, and images to enable people to find your site easily when they search those keywords. Ensure the keywords you use are relevant to your post and not aimed at solely driving traffic.
- Optimize your content for SEO: To optimize your content for SEO, WordPress has a powerful plugin called Yoast SEO that can really help you to specify your keyword, set your post description, and edit permalinks for your post to be more user-friendly, image naming and placement of your focus keyword throughout your content. You can install this plugin on your WordPress site
To reduce bounce rate on your WordPress site, Enhance your content readability
Are your visitors straining to read your content? If yes, then work on that!
No one will waste their time to adjust their focus to read your site content even if your content is awesome. Instead, they will just navigate away which will increase bounce rate. Make your content readable on all devices by using Font that is easily scannable. Avoid using Fonts that are too small. Also, ensure your text is attractive with good line spacing and padding. Your minimum Font size should be 14 px, however, it is good to put it at 18 px and this will make your content readable.
Update your old content
Do you have old content on your site that talks about forgone trends? Update that content. This is also another way to reduce bounce rate. Find all the outdated content and make sure your update with fresh content.
Internal linking! Internal linking!
Internal linking is good in many ways. It is good for SEO, it can reduce bounce rate and can also increase visitor’s time on site. However, you should link to relevant posts. If you don’t know what internal linking is, it is simply linking your current post from one webpage on your site to other relevant posts you did previously on the same site. If you have to link to external sources, you should not overdo it. You can use a WordPress plugin such as SEO Auto Linker for internal linking of your content.
Make All External Links To Open In New Tabs/Windows.
External linking is the linking of your content to other website’s content outside. It is the opposite of internal linking. This is a good practice for SEO also as it helps to enhance your connections and also provide quality content to your audience. While this practice is beneficial when it comes to SEO, it can also take your readers away from your site. Therefore ensure to make all external links to open in new tabs or Windows. WordPress provides its users with a plugin that automatically opens all external links in a new tab. However, you can simply add target=”_blank in all your external linking.
To reduce bounce rate, Work on your spellings and typos
There is nothing annoying than reading content that is full of spelling errors and typos. This is one of the things that contribute to high bounce rate as your site visitors think you are careless about your content. It also affects your credibility and it shows your readers that you are unprofessional. Although everyone makes mistakes, and typos do happen as we publish content, you must be careful; in fact, it is good to have a system in place to deal with these errors.
Reduce typos and spelling errors by:
- Checking your content for grammar, typos, and spellings mistakes at least two times before you publish it.
- Install browser extensions such as Grammarly. This browser extension will help to highlight mistakes you make as you type your content and it will provide you suggestions so that you fix the errors. You can install this extension for free but you can also upgrade to a paid version of the same. Note that the paid version offers more features than the free version.
Make your site mobile-friendly
Is your site accessible via desktop only? You are missing out a lot. Nowadays, many users are using their smartphones and tablets to surf the Web and in fact, cell phones users are impatient than those using desktops. So make sure your WordPress site can be viewed on small screens.Choose themes that are responsive. There are hundreds of paid and free responsive WordPress themes available online. To test whether your site is responsive on mobile phones, you may use a tool like MobileTest.me to have a view of how your site looks like on various screens.
Quick wrap up
While there are other ways to reduce bounce rate on your Word Press site, implementing these strategies will help you be ahead of the game.
- Traffic and content optimization is a must
- To reduce your bounce rate, Improve your site’s speed
- Create quality content that will be loved by your visitors.
- Update your old content
- Internal linking! Internal linking!
- Make All External Links To Open In New Tabs/Windows.
- To reduce bounce rate, Work on your spellings and typos
- Make your site mobile-friendly
Let me know the methods you use to reduce bounce rate in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Boniface Kisina (see all)
- How To Reduce Bounce Rate On Your WordPress Site And Increase Your Conversions - March 27, 2018
- How To Promote Your Android App /Game – 7 Awesome Tips - March 16, 2018
- Top 4 Best Portable Power Banks in the Market for 2018 - September 13, 2017