How to Protect Yourself from Internet Scams
Online scammers are getting improving cultured in the attempts for getting the personal details or money. Be alert about and protect yourself from scammers. Scams target individuals of all foundations, ages and wage levels crosswise over Australia. There’s nobody gathering of individuals who will probably turn into a casualty of a trick, every one of us might be helpless against a trick eventually.
The following are some of the tips for protecting yourself from online scams and reducing the risks.
Try to Use Strong Passwords
Making and creating passwords is one of the parts of doing anything online. Passwords will protect the personal details and so it is significant for creating strong passwords and modifies them regularly.
The following are the tips for making and using passwords:
- Don’t share your password: a true blue business or organization ought to never approach you for your secret word, so never share this data by means of email or via phone.
- Best password must have a combination of a minimum of 8 characters and include letters, symbols, numbers etc.
- For different online accounts, use different passwords
- Block the computer by saving the passwords
- Don’t save passwords in a file on the computer
Use Anti-Virus and keep the OS up to date
An anti-virus program will help you to protect from computer viruses. As you know, computer viruses can access the personal data, can delete the files, infect the computer or can attack another computer by using your PC.
The best thing for the virus issue is to use common sense and avoid the doubtful websites. Don’t download the files from unknown links from people you don’t know. Use good anti-virus program as a back-up for protecting the computer.
- Ensure that you have good software for security and try to keep as up to date
- Make sure that turn the automated updates for the OS and update all of the other application and programs while available the updates via the official websites
- Ensure that the network is encrypted and look for advice from the internet provider if you have doubt about how to do this
- Disconnect from the internet or turn off the computer while you are not using it.
- Scan devices like external hard disks or USB for the virus before you are exploring them on your computer.
Watch out for Unusual Emails
Email scams are simple, cheap and an effective method for the hackers to attempt the contact with the people and access the personal details or any financial information.
While checking the emails, keep the following things in your mind:
- If you don’t know the sender, don’t open the attachment or delete the mail
- Stop and think before go through any attachments or hyperlinks
- Before opening the attachments try to scan them using the security software
- Genuine websites and companies should not ask you to confirm the passwords or personal details via email, so don’t reply to that kind of email.
- Take care of the emails which will not address you by name
- Never make post your email id in any of the online forums
Avoid Social Media Scams
Scammers use the social media access to the personal information and accounts, and to trap the unsuspecting victims to part with the money.
- Beware of the unexpected or random contact, mostly if you have replied to anything in a website or any social media platform.
- Don’t accept friend requests or messages from anyone you don’t know
- If you are contacted by blue, don’t reply to those requests for personal information, credit card/banking details or money from the people who don’t trust or know.
- Be careful of fraud social accounts imagining to be a genuine company and always check out that page handle/name whether it is the genuine contact
- Be careful while clicking the ad by involving the finance
- As an additional precaution, remove/delete the advertisements for financial products from the social feed.
Think before sending money or shop online
Take more time for thinking about what you are going to do and can be actually useful while it will come for dealing or shopping with money online. The following are some of the tips which will help you to stay safe while online shopping:
- Deal with trustworthy online companies only
- If you have not allocated any business before, do an online search for checking the feedback and recommendations from other customers
- Never try to send money foreign or people that you have never met. Use payment methods with innate protections like secure online transaction facilities and credit cards
- Be careful about counterfeit items and something looks too good and true, it possibly is.
Protect the Personal information
The personal details are valuable and you have to take safeguards for protecting them while you are online, especially you are using the social media websites.
The following are some of the suggestions which will help you to make sure the safety of the personal information.
- While using social media sites, activate privacy settings
- Never disclose the information which may find you, such as name, date of birth, contact numbers or address
- Don’t post anything which would not need a stranger for knowing or find it
- Details posted online can be simply archived and stored, so keep in mind that everything that you post will never truly fully deleted.
Understand what your kids are doing online
Along with keeping yourself safe via online, it is also significant that you to understand what your kids are doing online, as they can also be the victims of the online scammers:
The following are the tips and which will help you to keep the kids from out of trouble via online
- Always supervise the children while they are online
- Consider using the internet filtering for blocking the websites and search terms
- Make the computer set up in a common area of the house
- Get the kids in the hobby of questioning anything online and ask them for telling you about any of the doubtful activity happened via online.
So totally beware about the online scammers and save your personal information.