WhatsApp chats and Facebook comments are teeming with funny and weird GIF animations. The GIFs can be used, for example, to show others their own opinion on a topic. What hardly anyone knows: You can create such GIFs for WhatsApp yourself with just a few clicks and send them directly. We’ll show you how.
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. Several individual images can be saved in this file format, which are then automatically played back one after the other as animations. In principle, GIFs are the modern form of the flipbook.
There are millions of GIFs on the net, which are often used to comment on news or news from friends. Instead of typing long texts, just say it with a matching GIF. GIFs are especially popular on WhatsApp because the Messenger app has its own GIF search engine that lets you find the right animation for any topic you can think of and send it to your friends.
So far, so familiar. But what very few people know: WhatsApp has a feature that allows you to create and send your own GIFs. Simply select any part of a video stored on your phone and create a GIF of up to six seconds.
We show you how to create GIFs for WhatsApp step by step.
Android and iPhone: How to create and send GIFs with WhatsApp
WhatsApp has now added a feature for creating and sending GIFs to both the iPhone and Android versions. We show you how to use the somewhat hidden function with your iPhone or your Android smartphone.
1 . Start WhatsApp and select the contact you want to send a GIF to
On an Android smartphone, tap the camera icon at the bottom.
If you are using an iPhone, tap the + symbol instead.
- From here it goes on for Android and iPhone alike. Now either record a new video or select a saved video from the library.
- Switch the switch from video mode to GIF.
- Use the sliders to select the section of the clip you want to send as GIF and tap the Send button.
That’s it. WhatsApp sends your GIF and displays it directly in your chat history.
Create and send GIFs using old WhatsApp versions
Are you using an older WhatsApp version without GIF? You can still create and send your own GIFs via a detour:
- Install the free app Gif Me! camera – GIF maker from the Google Play Store.
- Start the app and choose from which source you want to create a GIF animation. For example, you can use the Camera button to record a short video that is then automatically converted into an animation.
- To convert a sequence from a stored video, press “Video”.
- Select where the video you want to use is stored.
- Touch the video from which you want to use a sequence for your GIF.
- Use the sliders to set the start and end point of the sequence you want to use for the animation. Then press”Create”.
- Now launch WhatsApp and select the contact you want to send your animation to. Press the”Attach file” icon and then select”Gallery”. There you will find the GIF you have just created.
- Select your GIF animation now.
- Add a caption if you like and tap the send icon.
You know the saying: Pictures say more than a thousand words. In addition it should say: A GIF says more than a thousand pictures! Save yourself long texts and instead send an animation that gets to the heart of what you want to say. The new WhatsApp feature for iPhone and Android makes it easy to create your own GIFs and send them to friends.