Our elders always said, “Our eating habits define us”. And this very famous saying is absolutely true is related to the body, mouth, and teeth.
The body health issue can be balanced well with better food, the smell from the mouth can be ceased with better teeth and teeth can be maintained in a better way by avoiding few bad food habits.
Due to the plaque, there is a high chance of damage to the teeth because of Bad food habits Major gum and tooth decay diseases are due to the plaque which is a bacteria-filled sticky film.
The early form of gum disease is called ‘Gingivitis’. Though we can keep our teeth in a good condition with intensive methodologies like fillings, crowns and root canal which results in discomfort and pain.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the cavity problem is pretty common in 6 to 19 years. Here cavity problem is also called as tooth decay. In comparison to asthma, cavity problem is four times more for adolescents aged 14 to 17 years.
Avoiding proper brushing after eating a snack or a meal leads to the release of acids through bacteria which attacks the tooth’s enamel. And cavities can develop when enamel breaks down.
Although we brush our teeth for twice and visit a dentist on regular appointments, isn’t it is important to maintain good food habits? Prevention is better than cure. So, isn’t it is better to prevent bad food than to suffer from cavities?
There are five worst food for teeth which you should immediately avoid to eradicate plaque problems for your teeth.
Sour, Chewy and Hard Candy
Sour candies are pretty harmful to the teeth due to its sourness. This very sourness release different kind of acids on the teeth which result in tooth decay. Chewy candies are better than Sour candies.
The deposited sugar of chewy candies stays for a long time on teeth. The plaque which is formed due to the deposited sugar creates acids.
And these acids melt the enamel layer and result in cavities.
Hard Candies liquefy slowly and take more time to saturate in the mouth. This time taking process gives the plaque enough time to generate more harmful acids.
If you crave for sweets then better choose a chocolate based sweets to chew quickly and wash away easily.
It is one of the favorite food in summer. But it better to avoid biting into corn that’s on the cob if you have bad teeth. Biting on the cob can give more harm to your sealants. Orthodontic wiring patients are suggested to avoid corn on the cob.
Well, don’t compromise if corn is your favorite. Remove the corn from the cob to eat it.
Also Read: Magnificent Gift Ideas for Boyfriend
Vinegar is added importantly in the process of pickling to preserve for a long time and eating this vinegar preserved salt based pickles are hazardous to the enamel. To preserve such pickles vinegar uses an act of lactic fermentation process. People go gaga over pickles but eating them daily leads to the teeth problem.
Potato chips and bread are loaded with starch which can get deposited between the teeth. Due to the pre-digestive process, the starch turns into sugar which gets trap in between teeth and then it turns into plaque.
The refined carbohydrates pose a good amount of danger for the teeth. Upon consuming crackers it turns into paste and lodges between teeth. Refined carbohydrates like Crackers get convert into sugar quickly where it leads to the cavity problem.
Children love eating more such food and they end up eating more which cause a problem, whereas eating moderately may not cause a problem but it is advisable to take proper precautions.
Soda dominates the list of bad drinks. It harms the teeth due it’s highly acidic nature. And the presence of citric and phosphoric acid melts the enamel coating.
For Example Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi. Consumption of large doses will definitely harm the teeth, but why even take a low dose when we know there is a significant danger?
- Coffee stains are worst for your teeth. And if you add sugar to make your coffee sweet then it results in plaque formation. After consuming a coffee, it is advisable to drink sufficient water for the betterment of teeth.
- Alcohol causes the dehydration. It dries the mouth and reduces the flow of saliva eventually. This leads to the cause of cavities and gum disease. Alcohol is a serious threat to the oral health.
- Fruit Juices are good for health when you consume it in raw. The mixture of sugar and other ingredients to make it taste better increases the risk of cavities due to the acidic nature. Better to rinse your mouth after drinking a fruit juice.
- Sports drinks aren’t good which are packed with sugar and acids. According to PubMed Central (PMC), there is a potential threat to the teeth with such bad drinks. Sport’s drinks aren’t healthy and the actual truth is always visible with ingredients added to the drink.
- Wine like alcohol makes the teeth sticky, dries the mouth and leads to the stain formation. Both red and white wines are acidic. The more acidic the white wine, the more dangerous to your enamel.
- Tea may seem like a simpler beverage, but black tea stains your teeth more comparatively with coffee. Other teas such as green tea, white tea, chamomile tea and peppermint tea contain a fewer tannin than a cup of black tea.
Food is meant for energy when it is healthy. When food is not consumed with proper precautions then it causes a negative effect on health.
The better solution for a healthier life is to eat healthily. The most important dogma for a better teeth is to brush immediately after consuming an acidic food.
Also, instead of gulping snacks whole day it’s better to give some rest to your mouth at times.
Latest posts by Subba Reddy (see all)
- 9apps app free download 2016 - May 18, 2019
- Mobile App Marketing Campaign Strategies & Best Practices - April 12, 2019
- 10 Copywriting Tips Every Marketer Keep in Mind - December 7, 2018