Whether you are starting a business or already into one, you always need an SEO Expert. Someone who can drive enough traffic to your website so that you never run out of leads. But a good magician never reveals his secrets. And neither do SEO Experts. Here’s why!
Note: Before starting, let’s clear the air. This article is not targeting any particular SEO Group or an Agency. Rather a well-researched combination of actual events. So let’s get started.
Things most SEO Experts hide from their clients
- Keyword Competition: A customer is the easiest to fool when it comes to SEO. For most of them, getting a keyword on page 1 of Google means everything. But here’s the eye opener part –
The keywords you are ranking for will not bring you traffic (or leads) unless there is some search volume for that particular keyword. There’s no point in ranking for a keyword without any search volume, and that’s where most of the SEO Experts take advantage.
Tip: Tell your SEO Expert to choose profitable keywords for your business and ask for their monthly search volumes.
- Listing a business is free: You probably would have seen that map on the right-hand side of the Google search results page, when looked at a business keyword. That’s local listing most of the business owners do to be found in their area. Listing a business on Google is totally free and could be done by yourself.
Tip: Check out “Google My Business” and add your business for free by following some simple steps.
- Everybody is an SEO when it comes to off-page: Let’s accept the fact. Building links in SEO is not a rocket science. Unless you are not spamming and following proper guidelines, you are doing it just right. But would you really pay for someone guaranteeing you 30-50 links from free business submission sites? Well, I would not, unless I got some dead money or no time.
Tip: Make sure you hire someone who builds quality backlinks and focuses more on content marketing.
- Lack of updated knowledge: The best way to test an SEO Expert is to test his knowledge on the latest happenings in SEO Industry. The first step would be to ask – what SEO blogs does he follow? Give yourself some time to read about the latest Google Algorithms and check whether they know about it.
Tip: Before hiring an SEO Expert, make sure his knowledge about SEO is well enough not to get your website penalized by Google.
- Traffic Source – Most of the SEO Experts would try to sell you website traffic. But the important question that arises is – where does that traffic come from? Maybe from another planet? Probably Not! Well, the better answer to this question would be found when you look at the “Analytics Report.” Always make sure the traffic you are getting is progressing on “Organic Traffic” rather than referrals, direct or paid searches. The main focus of an SEO Expert should be to drive Organic Traffic on a website.
Tip: Tell your SEO Guy to set up Google Analytics on your website and ask for the monthly traffic reports containing their sources)
Ouch! That hit us hard. This would be the reaction of a majority of SEO Experts (or bad SEO Experts I would say) when asked about the above points after they pitch you a project.
Things to keep in mind when hiring an SEO Expert
1.) Should have a website: There’s no point in wasting your time and money on someone who calls himself an “SEO Expert/Consultant” and does not have his own website. For instance: this SEO Expert has his own website where he showcases his work to build trust.
2.) Should focus on getting you leads than keywords: Make sure the SEO person you are hiring is not trying to sell you low competition and non-profit keywords. Leads only come when there’s traffic. And traffic comes with a keyword having some search traffic.
3.) Must know latest happenings in SEO Industry: If you don’t want your website to be penalized by Search Engines, make sure you hire someone with the updated SEO Knowledge and not what worked a decade ago. SEO methods keeps changing. Traditional SEO is almost dead. What worked a few years ago might hurt your rankings today.
There, I saved you half a grand per month. Never forget to analyze the SEO Expert you are hiring and keep these points in points when you do.
Share if you care!
Latest posts by Subba Reddy (see all)
- 5 best WordPress plugins for SEO to boost your website presence - January 18, 2018
- The Future of processors: featuring Google’s Tensor chip - January 17, 2018
- Benefits of online marketing for small business - January 16, 2018